If you are eligible for certification, please ensure to complete a certification application form (below). If you have any questions, please contact your local area representative.
Certification General Information
“Work Experience” is defined as “the time spent in an occupation closely related to the enforcement, administration or development of building codes and which is acceptable to the Education/Certification Committee” of the NBBOA.
Certifications will be valid for a period of five (5) years from the date of issuance, provided membership in good standing, with dues paid on an annual basis, is maintained. Individuals who wish to retain their certification level will be required to apply for re-certification at the end of this period. To be eligible for re-certification, an applicant must apply in the prescribed form and attend information sessions on changes to the National Building Code which have occurred during their certification term.
The Executive Committee of the NBBOA, on the recommendation of the Certification Committee, is empowered to review, suspend or revoke any member’s certification upon being satisfied that such action is in the best interest of the Association and its membership. Actions which may result in such steps being taken include, but are not limited to, situations where it has been established that:
- An applicant made false or misleading statements in their applications or evidence of qualifications.
- An applicant did not comply with the rules of a NBBOA offered course exam.
- A member did not carry out their duties in a manner which would reasonably be expected of a NBBOA member.
- A member has been convicted of a crime in connection with work performed under the member’s certification.
- A member performed any other action, in connection with work performed under their certification, which is deemed by the Certification and Executive Committees to be negligent or malicious.
In the event that an individual has concerns regarding any aspect of the certification process, he or she may appeal, in writing, to the Secretary of the Executive Committee within sixty (60) days of the circumstances giving rise to the complaint. The Secretary shall direct the matter to the Executive Committee for consideration. The decision of the Executive Committee will be final.
Certificates for the various designations and levels of achievement will be issued at the NBBOA Annual General meeting provided the approved application is received by the Certification Committee no later than January 31st.
For information please click on above link